Saturday, November 9, 2013

Thanksgiving Tour -- Day 3

Image available at: http://tinyurl.com/mf6yos4
For today. . . fresh cranberry relish. Honestly, I can just eat this out of the bowl with a spoon, but it really does make the perfect refreshing condiment to serve along side all those other rich foods. My dad has been making this for as long as I can remember. Over the years I have tried various cooked cranberry sauces but this remains my favorite.

The recipe comes right from the back of the bag of Ocean Spray Cranberries and couldn't be simpler to make:

1 12 Ounce bag fresh cranberries
1 Small seedless navel orange, washed and scrubbed
1/2 to 3/4 Cup sugar (I use sucanat)

Cut the whole orange into cubes, place in a food processor with the cranberries and sugar and pulse until finely chopped. Transfer to a bowl, cover and let sit overnight. Since you are eating the entire fruit, skin and all, I prefer to use organic cranberries and oranges.

Incidentally, this also makes a great spread for turkey sandwiches.

1 comment:

  1. This is very similar to what I grew up with and make today but we do 1 cup sugar and 3 tbsp bourbon. The bourbon makes it SO YUMMY and yes, I eat it with a spoon, as well. Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete