Friday, November 8, 2013

Thanksgiving Tour 2013 -- Day 2

So for todays Thanksgiving post I thought I'd kitchen test a recipe for you all. I saw this recipe, Butterscotch Pie in a Curry Crust, in current issue of Bon Appetit. A dessert that uses herbs or spices is bound to capture my interest.

The way the recipe was written didn't exactly match up to my experience when making it so it seemed worthy of making a few notes:

  • 6 tablespoons of butter was too much for the crust. I started over reducing the butter to 5 tablespoons with much better results.
  • Reduce curry powder and fennel seeds to 1/2 teaspoon each.
  • Have all ingredients at room temperature, mixtures will come together more smoothly.
  • Tempered egg mixture took about 10 minutes to thicken, not 2-3 as the recipe suggests. The second time I made this the mixture thickened right up in 3 minutes. I attribute this to the additional cornstarch, higher heat on the stove, and better carmel mixture to start with.
  • Molasses flavor was over-powering, leave the molasses out and add 1 tablespoon of whiskey instead.
  • This one just begs for a delicious dessert wine.
It is a fun pie to try, however, I am still going to stick with a classic pumpkin pie for our Thanksgiving table. After reworking the recipe, this is definitely one I'd be proud to serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment