The way the recipe was written didn't exactly match up to my experience when making it so it seemed worthy of making a few notes:
- 6 tablespoons of butter was too much for the crust. I started over reducing the butter to 5 tablespoons with much better results.
- Reduce curry powder and fennel seeds to 1/2 teaspoon each.
- Have all ingredients at room temperature, mixtures will come together more smoothly.
Tempered egg mixture took about 10 minutes to thicken, not 2-3 as the recipe suggests.The second time I made this the mixture thickened right up in 3 minutes. I attribute this to the additional cornstarch, higher heat on the stove, and better carmel mixture to start with.
- Molasses flavor was over-powering, leave the molasses out and add 1 tablespoon of whiskey instead.
- This one just begs for a delicious dessert wine.