Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Persimmon Posibilities

I have been in a bit of a cooking slump. I think it was a the Thanksgiving preparations, Christmas preparations, and having a nasty cold. Frankly, I was starting to worry a bit that I wasn't going to feel that burning desire to create something in the kitchen.

Fortunately, I AM BACK! Due in no small part to this inspiring post at Abi's Farmhouse Kitchen. In the last 24 hours, I made yeast raised waffles--wow! Salted caramel marshmallows--amazing! And, this awesome persimmon pork dish.

It seems this year has yielded a bumper crop of persimmons in Northern California. Some dear friends gave us a huge box full of Fuyu persimmons from the tree in their yard and told us they don't really care for them. Even my brother, who is a chef, says they are not high on his list. However, I think persimmons, Fuyu persimmons, are underrated, (and clearly my daughter agrees as she just ate 5 of them). And, I am willing to bet I get can my brother and our friends to love persimmons.

I dreamed up an entire persimmon menu, think of an Iron Chef episode with persimmon as the secret ingredient.

Persimmon Lavender Shrub Cocktails

Persimmon Carpaccio with Burrata and Shaved Fennel
Bresola wrapped Persimmons and Arugula
--
Roasted Pork Tenderloin with Caramelized Persimmons and Kalamata Olives

Salad of Shaved Brussel Sprouts and Kale with Warm Pancetta Persimmon Vinaigrette
--
Eggnog Ice Cream with Persimmon Salted Caramel Sauce

Friends, (you know who you are), you will be called upon give some or all of these ideas a taste!




No comments:

Post a Comment